Allergic to cat: can I take an over-the-counter allergy medication every day? I have a cat and am allergic. Is it safe to take over-the-counter medication every day or should I see an allergist who can help me find a treatment that works for me?

Dr. Marvin Den

In brief: The

The best treatment would be removal of the pet.
As that is not a likely option would definitely see an allergist who could discuss with you the best way to treat your symptoms and decrease exposure to the allergen.

In brief: The

Dr. Marvin Den
Dr. Marvin Den
Dr. David Jakubowicz
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: If

If it helps, you can take an otc medication daily.
I would caution against daily use of any allergy medication with a d label. This indicates the use of a decongestant which can cause your heart to race or cause palpitations. Also, any one that has sedating as a side effect (zyrtec, benedryl, etc) can cause impairments with driving or decision making. Allergy tests and treatments are quite good, and you should consider getting some help if the otc medications are not making you better. The other option is to get rid of the cat.

In brief: If

Dr. David Jakubowicz
Dr. David Jakubowicz
Dr. Jack Hinkle