Is my finger broken or fractured a pool ball hit my left index finger and it swelled up twice its normal size and i get sharp shooting pains and its bruised

Dr. Robert Gluck
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Broken

Broken and fractured are two ways of describing the same thing.
Of course there are many ways to describe breaks/fractures i.E open or closed, displaced or non-displaced (in or out of place), articular or non-articular (involving the joint or not), comminuted or non-comminuted (clean or not clean) etc..

In brief: Broken

Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: You

You could have a fracture.
Based upon the injury it may be a non displaced tuft fracture or a fracture of the distal phalanx. Another possibility and the more like;y one is that based upon mechanism it is a severe bruise. An xray will help define the injury. The treatment may not differ much but it will allow you t know how long to expect it to hurt. Make sure that if there is a nail laceration or bleeding below the nail tat the finger is kept clean.

In brief: You

You could have a fracture.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Jeffrey Wint

In brief: It

It is not possible to tell if your finger is fractured / broken with this information.
I recommend that you see a doctor and have it x-rayed.

In brief: It

Dr. William Forsythe