Is naloxone safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?

In brief: ????
Naloxone is a drug used for acute narcotic intoxication, typically given when a person isn't breathing because of overdose.
As such, if it were really needed it wouldn't be safe _not_ to use it.

In brief: ????
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Kevin Daus
I think at my hospital they give it for itching if you have been given narcotic in the epidural or spinal space. I have not been aware of it causing problems. We used to give it to babies when the mother got narcotics for pain control in labor and the baby was sleepy from the mother's narcotic. Now they save it for the extreme cases like Dr Fogelson mentions.
Dr. David Kinsman
Anesthesiology
In brief: Of course
For most indicated uses of naloxone, it isn't safe not have it.

In brief: Of course
Dr. David Kinsman
Dr. David Kinsman
Dr. David Simons
Anesthesiology
In brief: It depends
Naloxone is an opioid antagonist used to reverse the effects of opioid side effects which include slowing of the breathing, nausea, itching among others.
This medication is rarely used during pregnancy or for breast feeding women. It may precipitate an acute withdrawal reaction in opioid dependent patients.

In brief: It depends
Dr. David Simons
Dr. David Simons