I am donating plasma and my iron is low, i take 260 mg a day to keep the level needed to keep donating, is this ok? I am 49 female.

Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: If

If you are replacing your iron stores with 260mg of iron a day, and this gets you to the acceptable range then i would assume you are not anemic.
On the other hand, I am not sure what level the plasma bank uses for their cut off. For this reason, you should see your doctor for a complete anemia panel, you may actually need more iron. Also be aware of the side effects of iron supplemantation. This includes stomach upset and pain, constipation or diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. Please continue to be screened for anemia by your doctor if you are going to continue donating plasma. Best of luck.

In brief: If

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Jane Van Dis