I have not worn my retainer in about three years. I've noticed recently that my upper teeth have moved a lot. Should i wear my retainer again even though it's been so long?

Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Maybe

The odds are the retainer no longer fits properly and wearing it might make the situation somewhat worse.
It's best to make an appointment with your orthodontic specialist for an examination and advice.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. Gregory Johnson
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Call

Call your orthodontist for an appointment.
Most likely he/she will be able to adjust the retainer for proper fit. If i won't go in at all, it might be necessary to make a new retainer appliance. The small investment in a new retainer is well worth it in order to maintain the beautiful smile you and your orthodontist worked so hard to achieve.

In brief: Call

Dr. Gregory Johnson
Dr. Gregory Johnson
Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dentistry

In brief: Important Questions

Do you want to keep your teeth in their current (shifted) position? Then you will need a new retainer.
Do you want to move your teeth back to their ideal position? Then you will need orthodontic treatment, either in the form of clear aligner (invisalign) or conventional brackets and wires. Either way, do not try in your retainer if teeth moved a lot. See dentist or orthodontist for an evaluation.

In brief: Important Questions

Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dr. Vicki Cohn
Dentistry

In brief: You

You can start wearing it again if it still fits you, or if it is only slightly tight fitting.
If it fits on easily, just start wearing it at night, it it goes on, but it's a little tight, wear it 24/7 (except for eating/drinking/brushing) for 2 - 4 weeks, then start wearing it at night only. If it doesn't fit on your teeth and it won't seat all the way down on them, go to see your orthodontist. If you are not sure if it fits correctly, return to your orthodontist. He or she will be glad to help you with this.

In brief: You

Dr. Vicki Cohn
Dr. Vicki Cohn
Dr. Jack Hinkle