Finger skin habbit I have been scraping my thumb skin for the past 10 years. I do unintentionally when I am depressed. My thumb looks really bad and I have to hide it in public. Any home remedy like vaseline that would work.

Dr. James Seward
Dermatology

In brief: Unfortunately,

Unfortunately, the scraping has possibly caused habit tic deformity.
This is difficult to treat and improve. I would recommend you research who is a good dermatologist comfortable with treating nails in your area. I hope that helps.

In brief: Unfortunately,

Dr. James Seward
Dr. James Seward

In brief: I

I know that you asked for advice by a dermatologist.
However, since it sounds like you are compulsively damaging the skin on your thumb, you might need more than just an obstacle to picking at the skin. You might consider seeing a behavioral psychologist to learn some simple ways to stop / block that behavior.

In brief: I

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Vaseline

Vaseline is a very effective moisturizer but excessive vaseline may cause skin maceration and other problems.
If your deformity is due to excessive skin keratin (hyperkeratosis) then debriding this may improve the appearance.However, if true scarring has occurred, this may be irreversible.

In brief: Vaseline

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik