What is coming out of my nipples? Only when i squeeze i get a semi-thick white substance. I can see it under the skin before i squeeze it. Breast cancer does run in my family. I am 19 years old. No babies, no piercings, no birth control.

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: You

You describe leaking a white substance, which is probably breast milk and we call it galactorrhea.
Breast milk formation is abnormal if it occurs more than 12 months after pregnancy lactation. You should have this checked to understand the cause. Galactorrhea is caused by an excess of a hormone called prolactin. Excess prolactin can be caused by intense suckling, medications, low thyroid hormone conditions (hypothyroid), excess estrogen (birth control pills), stress, some unusual brain lesions or even non-cancerous pituitary tumors. If the galactorrhea is caused by a specific disease then you need the disease treated. If there is no significant disease and the amount of discharge is minimal then sometimes no treatment is necessary. If the galactorrhea is causing embarrassing wetness or simply bothers you but there is no other serious disorder then medication can stop decrease the prolactin levels and the breast milk. Good luck.

In brief: You

Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: See your doc

Cancer would not be the first thing that i think of.
You should alert your friendly primary care physician to these symptoms. Most likely physiologic.

In brief: See your doc

In brief: The

The previous two doctors provided excellent information.
If the material came from the area surrounding the nipple and not from the nipples themselves, it could be a lubricant from the montgomery glands. They are in the dark skin surrounding the nipple (areola). These glands may blend in with the skin or may look like small bumps. If that is the case, try not to squeeze them.

In brief: The

Dr. Susan Trout

In brief: I

I agree with dr. Opshahl that this is probably breast milk.
The only way to tell for sure, though, is to see a doctor. So you need to do that. In the meantime, do not squeeze the breasts or try to get the milk to come out. That only makes things worse. Wear tight bras like sports bras. This can also cause your periods to become irregular or stop altogether, so be prepared for that too. This is not something that should be ignored, so talk to your doctor soon!

In brief: I

Dr. Jane Van Dis