Water retention. I have had water retention for several years, and been taking triamterene since then. I have hashimoto's and going through menopause also for the last 8 years. My thyroid levels on the last check a month ago say they are ok. I have been t

Dr. Timothy Hill

In brief: Water

Water retention is not a diagnosis, it is a symptom of something else going on.
Some of the most common things that can cause water retention if they are not working properly include: heart, liver, kidneys and lymphatics. Other things that cause water retention include certain medications, and physical inactivity. Water retention over a period of years can represent a wide variety of different problems. If your primary care physician evaluates you for water retention and cannot find a cause it is termed "idiopathic edema." the treatment for water retention is to treat the underling medical problem that causes it. In come cases reducing salt intake is helpful or taking diuretics (such as the triamterene you mention). Compression stockings can be helpful if the water retention goes into your feet, as can keeping your legs elevated.

In brief: Water

Dr. Timothy Hill
Dr. Timothy Hill
Dr. Jane Van Dis