Is pink eye dangerous for toddlers and infants? Should i take my child to the doctor? I'm pretty sure my daughter has pink eye. She has yellow, gooey, and crusty discharge around her eye. I need to know if it will clear up on its own or should she go see

Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology

In brief: Predominantly viral

Your child's signs are most likely due to a viral infection.
I advise a checkup with an ophthalmologist to reassure that it's not seriously affecting the eye in a way that may require antibiotics, as i'm a bacterial infection. Most viral conjunctivitis clears up on its own in 7-10 days with conservative treatment. Avoid contaminating yourself ; others.

In brief: Predominantly viral

Dr. Jon Fishburn
Dr. Jon Fishburn

In brief: If

If your daughter have pink eye, that can be contagious.
Therefore it would be prudent to have her see her pediatrician and get treatment before she plays with her cousin.

In brief: If

Dr. Richard Witlin
"Pink eye" can be easily spread to other members of the family, to start taking precautions to prevent this, such as hand washing, etc. A visit to your local pediatrician or eye doctor is a good idea
Dr. Jane Van Dis