I gave birth on january 23rd. I had a c-section and received an epidural. My thighs down to my feet are swollen. Is that common is swellling a side effect of an epidural

Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology

In brief: During and after

Labor, because of fluid administration, it is normal to have swelling of your body.
The fluid is quickly mobilized and, therefore, goes away in a couple of days. To be swollen a month later suggests a different cause. You should be evaluated soon for venous blood clots, amon other things.

In brief: During and after

Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
the epidural should be well-worn off as well as any effect from the dilatation of blood vessels that could cause some swelling. for whatever reason your body is not absorbing fluid from your lower extremities and there are several reasons for this. i would see your Ob or your family doctor if it does not improve.
Dr. Julian Goldman
Anesthesiology

In brief: Not epidural

The swelling that you described is almost certainly not from the epidural.
You should see your OB for a physical exam as the next step to diagnosis the problem.

In brief: Not epidural

Dr. Julian Goldman
Dr. Julian Goldman
Dr. Steven Guyton
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Swelling

Swelling is not a side effect of an epidural.
I would be concerned that you may have blood clots obstructing the veins in your thighs or up in your pelvis. Be sure to get that checked out. A doppler study of the veins in your legs may indicate obstruction of the blood flow out of your legs.

In brief: Swelling

Dr. Steven Guyton
Dr. Steven Guyton
Dr. Adam Levy