Is there a difference between blue light and uv light for sad?

Dr. Vikas Duvvuri

In brief: See below

Bright light is effective for seasonal affective disorder, and blue light is preferred- both are part of visible light.
Uv light is not part of the visible spectrum and is not indicated for sad.

In brief: See below

Dr. Vikas Duvvuri
Dr. Vikas Duvvuri
Dr. James Fox

In brief: Risk

The goal of light therapy treatment for sad is to mimic the amount of light that you would experience in the summer. Sunlight has it's maximum intensity in the green spectrum. Uv light carries the obvious risk of skin cancer.
It seems to me that blue would be better. Also, the time of day in which you use the light is important - in the morning starting around 6:30am on.

In brief: Risk

Dr. James Fox
Dr. James Fox
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine