Can sclerotherapy be used for spider veins on the face? I have had spider veins on my face for a number of years. I would love to able to look in the mirror and not see them anymore. Do physicians ever use sclerotherapy to get rid of these veins? .

Dr. Richard Tholen
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Sure . . . sometimes

"spider veins" on the face are called telangiectasias, and larger veins can also be unsightly.
Sclerotherapy works well when the vessel is cannulated by the tiny needle accurately, but this is much harder and requires more expertise (and 1 or 2 tries) to hit the vessel. A laser can also work well, and requires less expertise, but may cause scabbing and scarring. Sclero's main risk is bruising.

In brief: Sure . . . sometimes

Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: Yes.

Spider veins on the face can certainly be treated by sclerotherapy.
I do this frequently. In order to do this well, the treatment requires special lights, magnification and very small micro needles. Sclerotherapy on the facial veins should be done by someone with experience treating veins in this area.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. James Seward
Dermatology

In brief: I

I have done sclerotherapy on the nose and cheeks a few times with mixed results.
I agree that a vascular laser such as the v-beam pulsed dye laser tends to work better (before and after pic below).

In brief: I

Dr. Gregory Herbich
Dermatology

In brief: Sclerotherapy

Sclerotherapy can be used on the face but carries the risk of stroke, blindness and skin slough with scarring.
Laser treatments are safe and effective and are the gold standard for treating those veins. 595 nm flashlamp pulse dye laser, long pulse alexandrite or nd:yag lasers are used. Chose a dermatologist with the correct lasers and experience.

In brief: Sclerotherapy

Dr. Antonio Cruz
Dermatology

In brief: It

It has been done, however the preferred method is to use a vascular directed laser therapy.

In brief: It