How do I prepare my child for scar revision? My daughter was born with a hairlip and she developed a lot of scar tissue in the area after surgery. The hairlip was repaired well, but I have been wondering if anything can be done to reduce the scar. She is

Dr. Amit Bhrany
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: There

There are a variety of methods to treat scars.
These include non-surgical and surgical methods, which are often used in conjunction with each other. Non-surgical methods often include the application of ointment or sheeting (silicone), injection of steroids, and skin resurfacing methods such as laser therapy or dermabrasion. Surgical methods of treating a scar include excision of the scar or irregularization of the scar to make the scar less noticeable to the observer's eye. The chosen method to treat a scar depends on the age of the scar and desires of the patient, with an attempt to always balance the potential invasive nature of a revision and the desired outcome. Without evaluating your daughter in person or seeing any pictures, any facial plastic surgeon in your area should be able to evaluate your daughter and develop a plan that will work best for her. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me directly via the link below.

In brief: There

Dr. Amit Bhrany
Dr. Amit Bhrany

In brief: I

I think it is awesome that you want to help prepare your little girl for her surgery experience.
Quite a few hospitals offer pre-operative tours of surgical areas where they provide the children with age- appropriate information about what they can expect. Be open about her surgery. Talk about it and encourage her to share her feelings and her questions with you, her surgeon and the anesthesiologist. Using her teddy or one of her dolls to play through the process can be very helpful. There are some wonderful books you can read to her like: “franklin goes to the hospital” and “curious george goes to the hospital.” “going to the hospital sticker book” is a fun way to prepare. I hope her surgery goes well. My hat is off to you for asking this question.

In brief: I

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: I

I am not sure if you are asking about psychological preparation or physical preparation in anticipation of surgery.
In the former, probably the most powerful influence will be the child's desire for surgery. If they are self conscious of the lip and constantly looking in the mirror then they may be eager for surgery and will require little mental preparation. If, however, they are pleased with their appearance they may take your insistence as a sign of disapproval. In regards to pre-operative preparation, the surgeon's office should be equipped to provide you with sufficient information and instructions to adequately prepare her.

In brief: I

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik