My daughter is 3; routine x rays showed an extra tooth above the front teeth that has not come down. The dentist recommended to have it surgically removed after she turns 4. Is this necessary and what happens if the tooth is left alone? How safe is this t

In brief: This

This is a common occurence and has few after effects.
If left alone the permanent teeth may misalign.

In brief: This

Dr. Leopold Weinstein
Dr. Leopold Weinstein
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Need dual consult

You need to talk to the orthodontic specialist who will eventually treat your child and the oral surgical specialist who will remove the baby tooth.
Mesiodens can damage adjacent teeth and bone, and can alter eruption timing and position of permanent teeth, let the orthodontist, the oral surgeon, and your dentist put their heads together and decide on the best time for removal. Rx not difficult.

In brief: Need dual consult

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman

In brief: My

My opinion is leave it alone until she is older or it starts to cause a problem. This answer implies regular visits to your dentist so the situation can be evaluated on a timely basis.

In brief: My

Dr. Stanley Chickey
Dr. Stanley Chickey
Dr. Cameron Torabi
Dentistry

In brief: I

I would not do anything until she's 7 and ready for phase 1 orthodontics.
I would not put the kid thru surgery at this age. Here's more info: http://www.Brentwoodsmile.Com/bracesforyourchild.Aspx.

In brief: I

Dr. Cameron Torabi
Dr. Cameron Torabi
Dr. Cindy Juster