I'm worried about herpes hi. I'm freaking out a little bit. I slept with a girl twice who told me she has herpes. I have absolutely no symptoms but from all the reading i've been doing i understand that you don't always have symptoms. My friends tell me i

In brief: Status matters

Herpes is not always active in someone that has it.
It is most easily passed when there are obvious lesions, but silent passage can also occur. If she is taking an antiviral to suppress outbreaks, you are at lower risk.A condom can help but is not 100% protective.Type 1 or 2 can be transmitted sexually. You can have type specific blood tests to see if you have had a recent or past infection

In brief: Status matters

In brief: Please

Please ask the girl if she has herpes simplex i or herpes simplex 2.
One is a common cold sore and one is a sexually transmitted disease.

In brief: Please

Dr. Alvin Lin
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: You're

You're right in that you should be worried about getting herpes from an infected partner, even if s/he didn't have any active symptoms or signs of infection.
The good news is that your chances of getting (or passing on) an infection are significantly decreased with proper use of (wearing) a condom each & every time you have sex. You can never decrease your chances down to no risk unless you avoid sex or can be absolutely sure your partner isn't infected. You can increase your chances by having multiple partners, especially without any barrier protection. Good luck!

In brief: You're

Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Jonathan Jassey