Is borderline personality disorder related to ptsd?

Dr. Samuel Miles

In brief: Sometimes related

Some people with borderline personality disorder act out in ways which are dangerous to themselves or others.
They may develop ptsd as a result of these experiences.

In brief: Sometimes related

Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Samuel Miles

In brief: Sometimes

Sometimes borderline personality disorder arises in people who were abused as children.
The symptoms may be seen as similar to the ptsd's avoidance, reliving, and hyperarousal. However, some people with borderline personality disorder do not have histories of childhood trauma.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Samuel Miles

In brief: Sometimes

Usually there is an early history of trauma in the development of a borderline personality disorder (pbd).
I have found that the majority of my combat ptsd patients had early trauma as well. The characteristics of someone with bpd may leave them vulnerable to developing ptsd. They are however, two separate conditions.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Borderline

The only way I personally have heard how they can be related is for combat troops who exhibit symptoms while on active duty, those symptoms can be similar to borderline PD, and it takes a seasoned diagnostician to make the right call.
A personality disorder can disqualify a veteran from getting benefits.

In brief: Borderline

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Cindy Juster