If Lexapro helped me with my social anxiety and depression, could Paxil (paroxetine) help me more?

Dr. Samuel Miles

In brief: Possibly

Lexapro and Paxil (paroxetine) are both effective for depression and anxiety.
Some people do not tolerate side effects of one or another. Others don't respond to adequate trial of maximum doses. Then a switch is indicated. Before switching, your doctor should adjust the dose for a while to check for better effect and diminished side effects.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Paxil (paroxetine)

Whatever helped you before, stay with.
Paxil (paroxetine) can be more sedating & causes more wt. Gain. No one medicine is superior to another. They differ in side effects and tolerability, which vary between individuals.

In brief: Paxil (paroxetine)

Whatever helped you before, stay with.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Donald Hazlett

In brief: Possibly

Basic medication 101 says that there is only one way to know for sure how a person will respond to medication - take it.
Clinical judgement can be quite good but isn't perfect. Before Lexapro it was true that paxil, (paroxetine) though prone to many side effects, was and still is one of the best meds for social anxiety and depression. Withdrawal has always been a problem with it. None have proven better.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Eric Weisman