If I were having a hallucination, would I know that it's not real?

Dr. Douglas Bey
In brief: Maybe
Most pts are aware but not all.
I had a pt who kept her dog with her--if she heard a voice and her dog didn't look around she figured she was hallucinating!

In brief: Maybe
Most pts are aware but not all.
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Hallucinations
Hallucinations are psychotic processes.
Psychosis means the patient is getting external stimuli from the environment through one or more of his or her five senses, that does not objectively exist. In other words there are auditory,visual, olfactory, gustatory, and tactile hallucinations that can be experienced by the patient. Auditory hallucinations, however, are the most common.

In brief: Hallucinations
Hallucinations are psychotic processes.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric
In brief: Usually not
The most likely cause of hallucinations involves brain activity without an actual real stimulus.
Since we use our brain to understand what we see, hear, taste etc, it is often not possible to tell whether our brain received information from the environment or became activated through something akin to faulty wiring. Sometimes one can learn to tell if it is a hallucination but it can be difficult.

In brief: Usually not
Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash