If I were having a hallucination, would I know that it's not real?

Dr. Douglas Bey

In brief: Maybe

Most pts are aware but not all.
I had a pt who kept her dog with her--if she heard a voice and her dog didn't look around she figured she was hallucinating!

In brief: Maybe

Most pts are aware but not all.
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Hallucinations

Hallucinations are psychotic processes.
Psychosis means the patient is getting external stimuli from the environment through one or more of his or her five senses, that does not objectively exist. In other words there are auditory,visual, olfactory, gustatory, and tactile hallucinations that can be experienced by the patient. Auditory hallucinations, however, are the most common.

In brief: Hallucinations

Hallucinations are psychotic processes.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric

In brief: Usually not

The most likely cause of hallucinations involves brain activity without an actual real stimulus.
Since we use our brain to understand what we see, hear, taste etc, it is often not possible to tell whether our brain received information from the environment or became activated through something akin to faulty wiring. Sometimes one can learn to tell if it is a hallucination but it can be difficult.

In brief: Usually not

Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Eric Weisman