If I stop taking my bipolar medications, will I become depressed or manic right away?

Dr. Daryl Tanski
In brief: Hmmm...
Easier to predict that it will happen rather when it will happen.

In brief: Hmmm...
Dr. Daryl Tanski
Dr. Daryl Tanski
Dr. Carla Enriquez
In brief: Maybe
It depends on the medication(s).
Some may take a few days to offset, others may offset longer. Why are you asking about stopping your bipolar medications? Are you having side effects? Are they not working? Please discuss this with your doctor.

In brief: Maybe
It depends on the medication(s).
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric
In brief: Hard to know
Some people would become ill right away and others would not.
In general side effects of medications go away rapidly but the effectiveness of medications takes longer to fade so often people feel somewhat better when they first go off medications but then can become as sick or sicker then they were before. Part of the challenge is that people are sometimes unaware that they are ill (anosognosia).

In brief: Hard to know
Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash