Why do I bleed during sex? I tend to bleed when getting fingered and having sex

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: The

The source of vaginal bleeding after sex is most commonly from the cervix - the part of the uterus that hangs into your vagina.
It is most likely caused by cervical irritation from the friction of sex. As long as you are premenopausal, the bleeding is infrequent, and you have normal, regular pap smears, then you don't have to see your doctor for it. If you are postmenopausal, have bleeding that is heavy or every time you have sex, or if you have had abnormal paps smears in the past, you should see your doctor to rule out more serious causes such as cervical cancer. Good luck!

In brief: The

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jane Van Dis