I'm depressed, but now i've started seeing things. Could I have schizophrenia?

Dr. Alfredo Soto

In brief: Maybe

Schizophrenia is a disorder that has many symptoms, including visual hallucinations.
Generally, if hallucinations are only visual, they are not caused by a psychiatric illness. Usually (but not always) psychiatric illnesses cause auditory hallucinations. Either way, just having visual hallucinations does not mean you have schizophrenia.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Alfredo Soto
Dr. Alfredo Soto
Dr. Mark Reynolds

In brief: Probably not.

People can have hallucinations for many reasons.
If your depression is severe enough you can hallucinate. I hope you are being treated for your depression. If you are depressed to the point of hearing things you would need certain medications to help successfully treat the depression before it gets any worse. This would be best handled by a psychiatrist.

In brief: Probably not.

Dr. Mark Reynolds
Dr. Mark Reynolds
Dr. Kevin Considine

In brief: Depends

If you are depressed and are you currently on a medication for depression this may be a side effect of the medication.
Usually, but not always - schizophrenia is known for symptoms such as hearing voices in ones head as well as having strange delusions etc but its possible to have visual hallucinations as well. Please check with your doctor if this is occurring.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Kevin Considine
Dr. Kevin Considine