Cannot walk, severe pain in legs, especially l leg arthritis, osteoporosis, hbp,

Dr. Robert Andrews
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: There

There are several possible explanations.
They can be narrowed down by considering the nature of the pain and when it occurs. Pain that is present all the time, or that begins immediately after you stand up, suggests a musculoskeletal problem or arthritis. This is especially true if the pain is at the joints. Pain that is crampy in nature, begins after you start walking and goes away when you stop and rest, or starts when you are lying down but gets better when you hang your legs off the bed suggests arterial blockage. Itching, aching, or a sense of fullness in the legs that develops slowly over time when you're standing up and is relieved when you lie down or when you exercise suggests a problem with your venous system. In addition to the history questions discussed above, there are some signs of each type of problem that your doctor can look for on a physical exam. In some cases, x-rays or ultrasound studies might also be needed.

In brief: There

Dr. Robert Andrews
Dr. Robert Andrews
Dr. Kornelis Poelstra
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: I

I certainly agree with dr.Andrews, however, i feel that you should perhaps notify your physician about the true location of the pain, and let him/her know if the pain gets better when you sit down, and worse again, the further you walk.
Radiating pain from the buttock area down to the back of your thigh and then occasionally all the way down to the calf can be the result of a lumbar spine problem. If the nerves from the lumbar spine are compressed (so called 'spinal stenosis'), walking is usually affected the most, and leaning forward over a shopping cart makes the pain typically better. Also sitting down makes the pain go away very quickly. Have yourself evaluated soon!

In brief: I

Dr. Kornelis Poelstra
Dr. Kornelis Poelstra
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine