What could cause my 16 month old little girl to cry and hold her vaginal area? I have called her pediatrician, he isn't concerned nor wanted to see her. She has been doing this for a week now off and on. No temp, no blood in urine, no redness or swellin

Dr. Greg Hinson

In brief: Make her an appt...

I would call and get her an appointment anyway.
It is not normal for her to experience focused pain like that. Some possible causes include a simple diaper rash in the area that is irritated by urinating. Even without the doctor's appointment, you can look down there yourself to see if you see any redness and treat it as you would a regular diaper rash. Might require an anti-fungal cream from dr.

In brief: Make her an appt...

Dr. Greg Hinson
Dr. Greg Hinson
Dr. Joseph Cohen

In brief: Many reasons

First abuse is always ruled out, after, then common causes like vaginitis from diapers, uti, foreign body or injury should be assessed.

In brief: Many reasons

Dr. Joseph Cohen
Dr. Joseph Cohen
Dr. Joanne Peck

In brief: UTI, pinworms, local

She could have a urinary tract infection, even though there is no blood.
If in daycare, pinworms cause irritation and itching, look at night with a flashlight for short little threads. Sometimes a diaper rash can cause her labia to get irritated and/or stick together: this can be treated topically. If this happens once, you can observe; if it's been a week, i'd want to see her.

In brief: UTI, pinworms, local

Dr. Joanne Peck
Dr. Joanne Peck
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham