7 doctors weighed in:
How quickly does Zoloft (sertraline) start to become effective?
7 doctors weighed in

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
3 doctors agree
In brief: Zoloft (sertraline) onset
According to research studies, about 75% of patients will improve in the first four weeks, but it may take 4 to 6 weeks for the other 25% to improve with antidepressant treatment.
Also, it is important a person takes an adequate dose, for some, this may be as much as 150-200 mgs per day. I would go to a dr. Who would see me every few weeks until i was better. Good luck.

In brief: Zoloft (sertraline) onset
According to research studies, about 75% of patients will improve in the first four weeks, but it may take 4 to 6 weeks for the other 25% to improve with antidepressant treatment.
Also, it is important a person takes an adequate dose, for some, this may be as much as 150-200 mgs per day. I would go to a dr. Who would see me every few weeks until i was better. Good luck.
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Thank
Dr. Douglas Bey
Psychiatry
2 doctors agree
In brief: 2-3 weehs
It may b faster but this is the usual answer.

In brief: 2-3 weehs
It may b faster but this is the usual answer.
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Douglas Bey
Thank
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Family Medicine
1 doctor agrees
In brief: 4 to 6 weeks
Most antidepressants take several weeks to begin to build up in your system to a therapeutic level.

In brief: 4 to 6 weeks
Most antidepressants take several weeks to begin to build up in your system to a therapeutic level.
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Thank
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry
In brief: It may take four to
Six weeks once you reach an optimum dose.
The dose is usually titrated upward from a starting dose of 25 mg per day.

In brief: It may take four to
Six weeks once you reach an optimum dose.
The dose is usually titrated upward from a starting dose of 25 mg per day.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Eric Weisman
Board Certified, Neurology
32 years in practice
9M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors