How quickly can I increase my dose of prozac (fluoxetine)?

Dr. Susan Uhrich
In brief: Depends
Depending on why you are being treated and the form of the medication (daily vs.
Weekly) as well as how you tolerate it, you may even be able to start at a "high" dose (60-90 mg).

In brief: Depends
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Donald Hazlett
In brief: Slowly
Antidepressants take about 3 to 5 weeks to be effective.
Prozac (fluoxetine) doses for depression are 20 mg for 3 or 4 weeks, 40 mg for another 2 or 3 weeks. If there is some success but not enough, 60 mg is used. For OCD and anxiety disorders, higher doses can be used. Above 80 mg is not recommended. This schedule can be accelerated in critical situations as fast as tolerated. Still it can take 6 to 8 weeks.

In brief: Slowly
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Eric Weisman