How quickly can I increase my dose of prozac (fluoxetine)?

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Depends

Depending on why you are being treated and the form of the medication (daily vs.
Weekly) as well as how you tolerate it, you may even be able to start at a "high" dose (60-90 mg).

In brief: Depends

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Donald Hazlett

In brief: Slowly

Antidepressants take about 3 to 5 weeks to be effective.
Prozac (fluoxetine) doses for depression are 20 mg for 3 or 4 weeks, 40 mg for another 2 or 3 weeks. If there is some success but not enough, 60 mg is used. For OCD and anxiety disorders, higher doses can be used. Above 80 mg is not recommended. This schedule can be accelerated in critical situations as fast as tolerated. Still it can take 6 to 8 weeks.

In brief: Slowly

Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett