What should I know about feeding my baby following cleft lip repair surgery? My newborn baby boy has a cleft lip. We are scheduled for an appointment with a surgeon to discuss cleft lip repair surgery. How will i feed my child after the surgery? .

Dr. James Sidman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Normal way.

In our cleft program, we suggest normal breast or bottle feeding after cleft lip repair.
We do not recommend using a pacifier because the collar on the pacifier rubs on the cleft repair suture lines.

In brief: Normal way.

Dr. James Sidman
Dr. James Sidman
Dr. Gabriel Malouf
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Agreed.

Because each patient is unique, management will be specific to your child.
Write down your questions and make sure to address them with the surgical team when you meet. Odds are, they get this question often. Best :).

In brief: Agreed.

Dr. Gabriel Malouf
Dr. Gabriel Malouf
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: Honestly

Honestly this is something only the surgeon can answer. I believe it depends on the type of surgery that is done (lip only or palate as well).
Many children have this surgery and do very well afterward. Try not to worry. Make a list of questions for the surgeon so that you are well informed prior to making any decisions.. Best of luck.

In brief: Honestly

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Jonathan Jassey