Is a tooth abscess cured if it drains? Do i still need to go to my dentist? I had a small bump on my gums, and i was going to make an appointment, but this morning it burst and drained. Didn’t taste too good, but i swished some mouthwash around my mouth,

Dr. Robert Ryan
Dentistry

In brief: Not cured

The 'bump' on the gums is a draining abscess.
The symptoms tend to diminish when the bump opens and lets the fluid (pus) drain. But, the source of the infection is still present...It must be treated to avoid a chronic abscess.

In brief: Not cured

Dr. Robert Ryan
Dr. Robert Ryan
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry

In brief: See you dentist

Your abcess is not cured once it pops.
You may not have pain anymore but the infection is still there and still needs treatment. See you dentist as soon as possible. Do not let an infection remain without treatment.

In brief: See you dentist

Your abcess is not cured once it pops.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: Remove the cause

A draining abscesses is not painfull but also not cured.
It is the infected dental pulp causing the problem, hence it needs treatment asap.Get to your dentist. You need a root canal. Prolonging treatment will cause enlargement of the abscess at the expense of your bone.

In brief: Remove the cause

Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. Thomas Yash
Dentistry

In brief: See dentist

You need to visit dentist to determine the cause of this bump.
You could have an infection that is draining thru this bump(fistula). The drainage lessens pain venting the pressure but infection still remains. The abcess can worsen and spread thru face and blood stream. Will come back.

In brief: See dentist

Dr. Thomas Yash
Dr. Thomas Yash

In brief: YES,

Yes, you still have not resolved the problem that caused it.
May need extraction or root canal treatment, or periodontal treatment, abscess most likely will return.

In brief: YES,

Dr. Gabriele Spinuso
Dr. Gabriele Spinuso