How does Prozac (fluoxetine) work to get rid of depression?

Prozac (fluoxetine) . Antidepressant medication like Prozac (fluoxetine) has an effect on the serotonin system in the brain. Serotonin is one of many neurotransmitters in the brain that are felt to have an effect on one's mood. Prozac (fluoxetine) is an ssri, which stands for selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. There are six different ssris on the market.
Increases serotonin. It is a selective serotonin reputable inhibitor however no one knows the actual mechanism of the antidepressants.
Increases serotonin. There is a chemical in the brain called serotonin that affects mood. People who don't have enough serotonin may become depressed. Prosac keeps the serotonin from being reabsorbed, so the levels will be higher.