Does diluting juice help prevent baby bottle tooth decay? I understand that juice has sugar, and the sugar can cause cavities. I’ve read that diluting it with water makes it less likely your baby will get baby bottle tooth decay. I only give him juice a f

Dr. Gabriel Malouf
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Replace don't dilute

The sugar will change the acid/base balance in his mouth while there & for about an hour after drinking the juice.
The longer it's in his mouth, the more decay you will see. Consult with your dentist & pediatrician, and determine a way to give him food on intervals and something with no sugar (like water) the rest of the time. This can save you loads of time, $$ and pain. Good luck!

In brief: Replace don't dilute

Dr. Gabriel Malouf
Dr. Gabriel Malouf

In brief: You

You are correct. Dilution is a good option to reduce sugar intake; brushing at bedtime and avoiding nap and nighttime juice in a bottle will provide additional protection.
Ask your dentist when they recommend the first visit.

In brief: You

Dr. Donny Peterson
Dr. Donny Peterson
2 comments
Dr. Howard Schneider
I disagree. Dilution is not the answer. It is not how much sugar is present. But how long it is in contact with the teeth that is the problem here. Only give plain water inap
Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
While no sugared drinks are good for the health of the body as a whole and certainly not for the teeth, dilution of the drink will help a little. I would recommend, however, that you eliminate the sugared foods and drinks from the child's diet as much as possible, as it does no good and only causes harm.
Dr. Oscar Novick

In brief: Juices in babies

Babies need calories for growth .
By diluting the juice you are depriving him of needed calories. The question of whether to give a baby juice is another matter. Juices, on the whole, may be wasted calories. Children need sufficient iron and protein for growth, things that are not supplied by juices. Consult your pediatrician about his feelings. Occasional bottles are acceptable.

In brief: Juices in babies

Babies need calories for growth .
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: Not really

Baby bottle tooth decay can be caused by any sugar containing liquid no matter how dilute.
It is not how much sugar present that is the problem, but rather how long it stays on the teeth. Only give plain water in the bottle at nap and bed/night time. Babies do not swallow well while sleeping so even diluted juice will be in contact with their teeth for a long enough time to cause cavities.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Jonathan Jassey