I would like the quickest possible treatment for my overbite. Will i get quicker results with invisalign than traditional dental braces?

Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: NOOOOOI

It is entirely the wrong therapy for an overbite (what we orthodontists call overjet), a horizontal mismatch of upper teeth too far forward.
Describing the details would be boring, but suffice to say it is much less effective and much slower. I understand why you would like an invisible alternative, but such is life, full of compromises. Good luck!

In brief: NOOOOOI

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Traditional

They are typically faster and more effective (and often cheaper!).
Invisalign would be the way to go only if you are strongly opposed to having metal on your teeth.

In brief: Traditional

Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Absolutely not

If you had a broken leg that required a cast, would wrapping your leg in saran wrap do as well? If clear aligners were so good, orthodontists would have abandoned other rx modalities.
Invisalign does not rx vertical overbite well, and is even less effective in rx of horizontal overbite. See a qualified orthodontic specialist for diagnosis and rx. Quick does not equal better.

In brief: Absolutely not

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Brett Noorda
Braces will be faster and more effective than Invisalign in correcting your overbite.
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Overbite

In layman's terms, an "overbite" typically refers to the upper front teeth sticking out horizontally, further than the lower front teeth.
An orthodontist defines an "overbite" as the vertical overlap of the upper front teeth over the lower front teeth. Get an opinion from an orthodontic specialist regarding the best and "quickest" option (it depends highly on the severity of your own problem).

In brief: Overbite

Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. BEHRAM DALAL
Dentistry

In brief: Traditional

Braces are the way to go.
If aesthetics is a concern, discuss ceramic brackets with your orthodontist. Hope this helps.

In brief: Traditional

Braces are the way to go.
Dr. BEHRAM DALAL
Dr. BEHRAM DALAL

In brief: No

Invisalign is a fast way of getting treatment, however you will have to wear a retainer for life.
This is because invisalign only tilts the tooth and does not bring the root to be directly under the crown portion of the tooth to created stability. Once you stop wearing the retainer, the tooth tends to return to its previous position.

In brief: No

Dr. Douglas Tavenner
Dr. Douglas Tavenner
2 comments
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Tavenner, thank you for responsibly explaining tipping and relapse, so few realize this. I do disagree with Invisalign being fast, well just like my kids used to clean the dishes (I had to re-do them) enough said. Regards.
Dr. Douglas Tavenner
Fast was only referring to the movement that the patient sees and mistakenly think that this is producing "results". My opinion is that Invisalign is an expanded marketing of the "tooth positioner" that we used as a type of active retainer to fine tune final movements after the fixed orthodontics were removed.
Dr. William Dabney
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Quick orthodontics

See if you can find a doctor in your area that uses suresmile treatment to discuss the quickest way to straighten your teeth.

In brief: Quick orthodontics

Dr. William Dabney
Dr. William Dabney
Dr. Arnold Malerman
The most sophisticated Aligner system is Invisalign. Know that braces are still the gold standard, and Orthodontic Specialists do Rx better than Generalists. Braces >90% effective, aligners <50%, when done by a fully qualified Specialist. So you have to decide whether you want a great or a mediocre result.
Dr. Marsha Davis