Can't eat due to gagging, . What can be the solution? Before food is swallowed I have had 2 throat scopes, seen my dentist, my shrink, had a cookie test and seen a speech therapist as well as my regular doctor. Please help me eat again. I feel like i am

Dr. Michael Wolfe
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Difficult

Difficult to answer with the info given.
The gag reflex can be physiologic (the body's way to expel noxious substances), mental (your body feeling that a normal substance is noxious) or both. It is interesting that normal food causes gag but the" junk" does not--although you are nibbling small amounts. How about liquids? You could get the nutients you need by drinking nutrient shakes (ensure or boost to name a couple). Is there history of any other eating disorder in your past? Any psychiatric issues? Reflux of acid can predispose to a higher than normal gag reflex. I have found that speech pathologists work very well with some swallowing disorders, and they can often spend the extra time needed to help ferret out details that are important to understanding the problem.

In brief: Difficult

Dr. Michael Wolfe
Dr. Michael Wolfe
Dr. David Jakubowicz
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Does

Does it happen with all types of food or just some? Is it the size of the food that is causing your symptoms.
What type of junk food do you eat - pastries or potato chips? If you ate with chopsticks would you still gag. Do you suffer from heartburn? Do you drink a lot of soda, smoke or alcohol and what type? How old are you? Any voice problems or spitting up blood? Usually better to more fully describe your symptoms and exact things which bring about the problem rather than give a list of all specialists which have been unsuccessful in helping you. I hear that you are frustrated with eating and have yet to be helped but the more complete the description, the more likely one of my colleagues may be able to assist you.

In brief: Does

Dr. David Jakubowicz
Dr. David Jakubowicz