Just had a 3 level acdf. Doctor prescribed hydrocodone 10/325 1-2 tablets q6-8 hrs as needed for for pain. Is that a safe dose no more background needed.

Dr. Carl Spivak
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen)

Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) 10/325 1-2 tabs q6-8h this prescription provides a maximum 2 pills x 4 times per day (every 6 hours equals 4 doses per day) = 8 tablets per day.
One concern is the Acetaminophen dosage (the 325 part of norco). Recent maximum daily doses of Acetaminophen has decreased to 3000 mg. 9 Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) pils x 325 Acetaminophen = 2925 mg acetaminophen therefore 9 Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) has less Acetaminophen then the new maximum dose. I usually recommend Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) 10/325 1 tab every 4 hours, maximum daily dose of 6. This better covers the pain and maximum daily dose of 6 is recommended by rxlist.Com. Dosage limits vary depending on your health and possible medical conditions you have. I recommend discussing your medication with your doctor.

Dr. Carl Spivak
Dr. Carl Spivak
Dr. Mila Mogilevsky
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Generally

Generally speaking - yes.
The main concern here is the Acetaminophen daily dose, which is below the maximal daily dose that can be prescribed. Having said that, it is important to keep in mind that opioid medications ( hydrocodone ) too, get processed by liver. Since this is prescribed for postoperative pain, it is anticipated that your pain medication requirements will progressively decrease and you will need considerably less pain medication in just a few days. Therefore, there is really not much to worry about. Have a good recovery!

In brief: Generally

Generally speaking - yes.
Dr. Mila Mogilevsky
Dr. Mila Mogilevsky
Dr. Vikram Patel