I have been having what appears to be 'lockjaw" except when i eat its as if I've eattin something sour. I get lockjaw, sour tight tender feeling, sounds like there is a candy wrapper in that area when i apply pressure.. Its located on my jaw under my ear.

Dr. James Vito
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: TMJ ISSUE

You may be developing a TMJ or tempromandibular joint issue.
The jaw is a joint. When out of alignment it will start making noise and can lock up. This will get worse with time. You should have it evaluated asap.

In brief: TMJ ISSUE

Dr. James Vito
Dr. James Vito
Dr. Bruce Weisbrot
Dentistry

In brief: Probably TMJ syndrom

That area is exactly where the TMJ is located.
You need to be evaluated by a dentist that is familar with the treatment of tmj. First we take x-rays to be sure that a toothache is not causing you to eat on only one side or area. Than we evaluate you for muscle pain and your bite. And finally a TMJ splint is usually prescribed. That will usually relieve the pain. Then your teeth are adjusted.

In brief: Probably TMJ syndrom

Dr. Bruce Weisbrot
Dr. Bruce Weisbrot
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: TMJ\TMD for sure!

I will go out on a limb and almost guarantee you that you have tmj\tmd issues.
What you describe are classic symptoms of this problem. The noises that you hear and the "locking" of the jaw are the result of internal inflammation, damage and\or derangement of the disc of the joint(s). That does not preclude other problems. See a dentist who has extensive training and experience in this area.

In brief: TMJ\TMD for sure!

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Robert Andrews
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: The

The sound you describe suggests an inner ear infection.
That would also go along with the tighness and tenderness in your jaw. You may have something blocking your eustachian tube. I would suggest that you have your ear looked at by your doctor. You may need antibiotics to get rid of this, and ignoring it could result in hearing loss.

In brief: The

Dr. Robert Andrews
Dr. Robert Andrews
Dr. Robert Radin
If you pull on your ear and feel pain, it is most likely an ear infection. If however when you pull on your ear, you don't get the pain symptoms you may have an internal derangement in your jaw joint -Tempormandibular Joint (TMJ). This results from stretching or tearing of some parts of the joint complex leading to limitation of range of motion of the joint, usually accompanied by noise. The reatment for this is usually some form of rest, and physical therapy. An evaluation by a dentist or orthodontist may be advisable.
Dr. Andrea Brand