Malnutrition is it dangerous if a person rarely gets hungry and their diet consists mostly of coffee and water and one small meal a day with walking as the sole exercise?

Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: Yeah, not so good

I'm OK with the exercise but you need to eat more.
Eating actually helps us burn calories, as the breakdown of food requires energy. Smaller more frequent meals throughout the day with 35 grams of fiber daily and plenty of water (perhaps a couple cups of coffee) would be great.

In brief: Yeah, not so good

Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Walking

Walking is one of the healthiest exercises you can do.
A diet of coffee, water, and one small meal a day is not very healthy if it does not contain the minimum amount of calories, vitamins and nutrients an adult needs to stay healthy. Calorie requirements vary depending on gender, age, size, and activity level, but even the smallest, most inactive person needs 1500 calories/per day. And these calories need contain a balanced diet of protein, carbohydrates and fats with vitamins. Below i've attached an interactive website that gives information on nutritional recommendations and meal planning. For additional questions, please contact your doctor.

In brief: Walking

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Stephen Christensen

In brief: If

If a person only gets one small meal a day and otherwise subsists on coffee and water, walking might be the only exercise he/she can tolerate.
Such a person could certainly be at risk for malnutrition. If the caloric restriction is intentional, an evaluation for an eating disorder is in order (e.g., anorexia nervosa), particularly if he or she is underweight. If this individual simply doesn't have an appetite, there may be an underlying medical disorder that needs to be addressed. Again, medical evaluation is warranted. I hope things work out!

In brief: If

Dr. Stephen Christensen
Dr. Stephen Christensen
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine