If I have an ulcer, will i need lap band revision surgery? I'm nervous about having lap band revision surgery on my stomach. Is this kind of surgery usually successful? Is it any riskier than my original surgery? .

Dr. John Fung
Surgery

In brief: Although

Although the situation you describe is unclear, it seems that you may have had a lap band and now found to have an ulcer near the area of the band and that you have been suggested to have this revised.
If indeed this is the case, you should consider whether you have taken medications that may have increased the risk for stomach ulceration, such as the use of Aspirin or steroids. It that is not the case and the ulcer is near the vicinity of the lap band, then one should consider whether this is a lap band erosion, which can occur if the reservoir is overfilled, incorrectly placed, or other events, such as prolonged vomiting may have preceded this. As this occurs in about 3-5% of cases, it is not common, but the treatment will require removal of the lap band. In this case, another lap band is not usually recommended, but rather consideration to conversion to another bariatric procedure, such as sleeve gastrectomy, after the ulcer is healed.

In brief: Although

Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung
Dr. Leon Katz
Bariatrics

In brief: Having

Having an ulcer after bariatric surgery initially requires a medical approach such as acid blocking medicine.
It is relatively unusual to have an ulcer in the stomach or esophagus after a banding procedure, that actually requires a revisional surgery. If you had a gastric bypass as your initial procedure and have an ulcer that is not healing, this certainly is a more serious situation that would require a discussion with an experienced surgeon who knows revisional surgery. Any kind of revisional surgery, including repositioning the band or putting in another band carries much higher risk of injury to the surrounding structures like stomach, esophagus or even the spleen.

In brief: Having

Dr. Leon Katz
Dr. Leon Katz

In brief: This

This will depend on where the ulcer is.
If this is an ulcer at the band site or an erosion the band will need to be removed. If an ulcer in the lower part of stomach it can be treated with antacid medication or perhaps with h. Pylori eradication.

In brief: This

This will depend on where the ulcer is.
Dr. Marc Bessler
Dr. Marc Bessler
Dr. Michael Bilof
Bariatrics

In brief: Given

Given the information it is a little difficult to answer the question.
I am concerned that what is being called an "ulcer" may, in fact be an "erosion" of the band. The reason i say that is because generally speaking the treatment for an ulcer would not be "band revision surgery". Most of the time the treatment for an ulcer would be medicine. On the other hand if someone had a band erosion that would require surgery to fix. The person who posed the question is stating they have an "ulcer" but the proposed treatment is "band revision surgery", which given the limited information available doesn' really make sense. My advice would be to find out the exact nature of the problem (ulcer vs. Erosion). Since the treatment being proposed is band revision surgery it would seem the actual problem is a band erosion. If the actual problem is a band erosion then then surgery will be necessary.

In brief: Given

Dr. Michael Bilof
Dr. Michael Bilof

In brief: You

You have really provided no information upon which to base an answer to your question.
Was your original surgery a lap band? Where is your ulcer? Why do you need a revision? You should really discuss this with your surgeon. If you are still nervous, seek a another surgeon and get a second opinion.

In brief: You

Dr. J. C. DiGiacomo
Dr. J. C. DiGiacomo