Can people be permanently cured of major depression?

Dr. Douglas Bey
In brief: Controlled not cured
Like most illnesses--diabetes thyroid disease hypertension the symptoms are controlled not cured.

In brief: Controlled not cured
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Donald Hazlett
In brief: Possibly
A better question is can it be successfully treated? One would have to live a lifetime to say they were permanently cured of depression.
I believe there is always a risk of relapse. Common wisdom is one depression leads to a 50% chance of another, two a 75% chance and three a 90% chance for more depression. I have seen almost every other possibility in my 40 years of practice.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Depression
Phases of treatment are; acute phase, maintenance phase, recovery phase.
Depressed person can remain in the recovery phase for years without relapse, as long as they continue therapy.

In brief: Depression
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Eric Weisman