Can people be permanently cured of major depression?

Controlled not cured. Like most illnesses--diabetes thyroid disease hypertension the symptoms are controlled not cured.
Possibly. A better question is can it be successfully treated? One would have to live a lifetime to say they were permanently cured of depression. I believe there is always a risk of relapse. Common wisdom is one depression leads to a 50% chance of another, two a 75% chance and three a 90% chance for more depression. I have seen almost every other possibility in my 40 years of practice.
Depression. Phases of treatment are; acute phase, maintenance phase, recovery phase. Depressed person can remain in the recovery phase for years without relapse, as long as they continue therapy.