Is it normal for a 4 month old to have a 100.9 fever while teething? My 4 month old baby just got her first 2 teeth in about a week ago. But today she has been acting really irritable and checked her rectal temperature and it was 100.9. Could this be a ca

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: A little high

100.9 is a little high.
May be teething, but more probably a cold. Ck w pediatrician. And see a pediatric dentist no later than 1st b'day. 2 or 3 is late. You need to talk to pedodontist about care of baby teeth, diet, hygiene, growth and development of teeth and jaws, Fluoride (remember, permanent teeth are already forming), and so many other things. And your child & the dr can bond.

In brief: A little high

100.9 is a little high.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
2 comments
Dr. Marsha Davis
Agree with every part but can wait til 3 for first dentist visit unless problems. Start brushing early!!
Dr. Arnold Malerman
I cannot tell you how much I disagree with this position. Any Pedodontist can tell you horror stories about kids that waited 'till 3 and were a dental disaster. And as permanent teeth begin developing about birth, fluoride management is extremely important. And Pediatrician does not have same training as Pedodontist in dentitional and crania-facial development. It's important to start early. By 3 kids are uncomfortable in new environments. American Dental Assn & American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommend 1st dental cm-up @ age1, and they are right. As a Pediatrician you may want to discuss this with your Pedodontic colleagues for even more information than i can give you here.
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: Possibly

It is normal for some babies to have a loo grade fever while actively teething.
I would not expect it to develop a week later. She might have a mild cold. Keep her well hydrated and if other cold symptoms develop or fever worsens have your pediatrician evaluate her just to be safe.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Felicia Mata
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: See her pediatrician

Normally, teeth eruption don't cause fever. A low grade fever can be detected sometimes during the eruption, not when the teeth had already erupted.

In brief: See her pediatrician

Dr. Felicia Mata
Dr. Felicia Mata
Dr. Shontae Buffington