Do i need a colonoscopy because my hemoglobin, hematocrit, and MCV were low? Wouldn't another blood test be the next step? I'm 60 and healthy. My iron was okay when i donated blood 20 days before the blood panel was done on 12-5-11. Could donating blood

Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: The

The tests very well could have come back low due to you donating blood.
A good idea would be to take iron or a daily multi-vitamin for 3 months then repeat the anemia panel. If you still have anemia your doctor can do a simple test of your stool to check for the presence of blood. If it is positive then you should have another colonoscopy. Best of luck.

In brief: The

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Of course, if it has been ten years since your last colonoscopy, or if you've never had one, you need it ASAP regardless.
Dr. Donald Alves
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Not likely

With low h&h and low mcv--it is either due to low iron or blood loss.
..And you already know it isn't low iron, and it's been 3 weeks since last known blood loss, which had to be from a normal range h&h or would have been deferred--so lost a good amount of blood in a short time = (only) GI tract losses = (sorry) colonoscopy.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Donald Alves
Dr. Donald Alves
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine