What is the best treatment for severe nerve pain that pain meds do not work on? I have had two back surgeries, and knee replacement and still have excruciating stabbing knee pain that I have been told is nerve pain coming from my back. Pain medication an

Dr. Neil Ellis
Anesthesiology

In brief: See a pain doctor

Narcotics are not the best medications for nerve pain.
There are many better medications. Spinal cord stimulators are used for pain after back surgeries. See an interventional pain physician and they can help come up with a plan.

In brief: See a pain doctor

Dr. Neil Ellis
Dr. Neil Ellis

In brief: Have

Have you considered using medical acupuncture as an adjunct to your other forms of treatment? Acupuncture; which has been practiced for several thousand years in china; is commonly used in many european countries as well.
There is a marked growth of md's and do's practicing acupuncture in the United States. There are a number of acupuncture modalities to treat chronic and acute pain. The needles used in acupuncture are extremely thin. In comparision with needles used to draw blood or to give shots, the diameter is much smaller. Acupuncture works by encouraging the movement of energy, blood and nourishment in the body. An acupuncture treatment plan incorporates procedures that are specific for your health problems. This may be a beneficial addition to the treatment that you are already receiving.

In brief: Have

Dr. Vikram Patel