Is it normal for me to bleed after intorcourse? I mean a lot? I have been off my period for 2 days before i had intercourse. I bled a lot last night. I'm not going so heavy right now, however. I am cramping a little though.

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: The

The most common source of vaginal bleeding after sex is from the cervix - the part of the uterus that hangs into the vagina.
It is most likely just cervical irritation from the friction of sex. As long as you are premenopausal, the bleeding is infrequent and slight, and you have normal, regular pap smears, then you don't necessarily have to see your doctor for it. If you are postmenopausal, have bleeding that is heavy, or if you have had abnormal paps smears in the past, you should see your doctor to rule out more serious causes of bleeding such as cervical cancer. Good luck!

In brief: The

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Adam Levy