Can drinking 5 to 6 cups of tea a day be bad on my health I am 21. I just quit smoking jan 13. Was a pack a day smoker since i was 17. This is my first time doing it cold turkey. I am feeling very confident about it this time. I have quit coffee too. But

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Congratulations

Congratulations on quitting smoking! that's probably the single best thing you can do to make a positive impact on your health.
The first couple weeks can be tough, so hang in there! as far as the tea goes, as long as your 5-6 cups a day are about 8 oz a piece, there should not be any problems. The main issue with tea is that it contains caffeine and other compounds that can act as diuretics making you urinate more and can be dehydrating. Uncaffeinated and decaffeinated teas cause less of a problem. Tea also contains half the caffeine as coffee so by quitting coffee you are consuming less caffeine which helps. If drinking your tea helps to keep you from smoking, then by all means, drink your tea! tea drinking is much much healthier than smoking.

In brief: Congratulations

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: I

I agree with dr mcmullen.
If you are drinking a lot of tea, make sure you are also drinking a lot of water to avoid dehydration. If you haven't tried herbal teas; there is a large assortment available. Also, whether you are drinking large amounts of coffee or tea; rinse your mouth with water to avoid staining the enamel of your teeth. Should you desire even more help with your smoking cessation, you can find a doctor in your area who does auricular (ear) acupuncture. There are safe, effective protocols to help with addictions such as smoking.

In brief: I

I agree with dr mcmullen.
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology