Double vision, nauseated at first, has to hold onto wall while in the house, falls without support. Had cat scan and it showed negative for stroke. On high blood pressure medicine. 56 yr. Old male. No answers from doctors so far. What could be the cau

Dr. Simon Fishman
Neurology

In brief: I

I would recommend returning to the er as soon as possible.
The combination of ataxia (staggering) and diplopia (double vision) would indicate a stroke in the brainstem, which would not be visible on a ct scan. A MRI is the diagnostic test of choice.

In brief: I

Dr. Simon Fishman
Dr. Simon Fishman
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology

In brief: You

You may want to consider a visit to a neurologist with that combination of symptoms, especially if the double vision is only present with both eyes open at once.
This would indicate a nerve problem with a nerve controlling one of the muscles that moves the eye.

In brief: You

Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. John Kim
Ophthalmology

In brief: Double

Double vision indicates that your two eyes are not alligned.
This can be secondary to the muscles that control your eye movements or to the nerves that control the muscles. I recommend seeking a neuro-ophhthalmologist for a full workup.

In brief: Double

Dr. John Kim
Dr. John Kim
Dr. Adam Smith