Why is a blood test done before surgery? I am having cervical surgery done and it is covered by workers comp.I have to have a blood test before surgery.I currently take injesctable steroids.Will it be found in my blood test or do they even check for that?

Dr. Robert Andrews
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Routine

Routine pre-operative blood tests are done to be sure that you won't run into bleeding problems.
They check your platelet count, your red blood cell count, and for abnormalities in the chemical components that help your blood to clot normally. Steroids would not be picked up on these tests. I'm not sure what you mean by injectable steroids. Anti-inflammatory prescription corticosteroids will increase blood sugar levels and might show up for that reason. They can also slow healing and increase the risk of infection. Anabolic steroids, which are often used illegally to build muscle mass, can lead to other problems, not the least of which is that, because they are acquired and used illegally, they may have impurities and are of unknown dosage. You should discuss this with your doctor. He or she needs to know about any medications you're taking--legal or not--and is not going to report you to the police if you're using something illegal.

In brief: Routine

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Tell

Tell your doctor about any medication you take prescription or non prescription.
If you are having neck surgery that means a general anesthetic. Every nurse, doctor, clerk who asks what medications you take should know ev e ry medication.

In brief: Tell

Dr. Andrea Brand