Does masturbating for over a year cause infertility or low sperm count. Please give straight answer and recommendations please. I have been masturbating for over a year now. My health proffesor told me it may affect my ability to conceive a child in the f

Dr. Robert Andrews
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Masturbation

Masturbation does not impact your overall fertility or reduce your chance of having children in the future.
If you masturbate right now, your sperm count will be lower tomorrow than it would have been otherwise, but three days from now you will have produced enough sperm to makes up the difference. There is no "total amount" of sperm that you will produce in your life, and in fact if you don't ejaculate those in yours body now, they will be replaced in the next few days anyway.

In brief: Masturbation

Dr. Robert Andrews
Dr. Robert Andrews

In brief: I

I am wondering if there may have been a misunderstanding in the information exchanged between you and your health professor. Sperm are produced in the seminiferous tubules of the testes.
The testes continously make sperm. If the sperm do not leave the body they will die and will be reabsorbed by the body. As dr. Andrew's stated, sperm emission (whether it is with masturbation or sexual activity with a partner) may temporarily reduce sperm count. However the body will make more sperm. Some causes for reduced sperm count can include smoking, abuse of some substances, emotional stress or wearing clothes that fit very tightly around the crotch that might increase the temperature in the area of the testes (although most of these are temporary).

In brief: I

In brief: Masturbation

Masturbation does not cause low sperm count or infertility.
As long as masturbation is not compulsive there is nothing unhealthy about it.

In brief: Masturbation

Dr. Marc Bessler
Dr. Marc Bessler
Pathology

In brief: Straight answer

The straight answer is that your "health professor" is wrong.
He/she read some "pop" disinformation about sperm counts being lower if ejaculation is more frequent. This is true only because less fluid is reabsorbed between ejaculations. If it did cause infertility, the human race would probably end. Unless there's a serious misunderstanding, this individual should not be teaching.

In brief: Straight answer

Also keep in mind that whenever religion becomes involved with education, faculty may be required to tell students things that they themselves know not to be true. In the USA, teachers in many jurisdictions have been required to tell students that condoms are not effective in preventing disease or pregnancy. So forgive me if I was too harsh, and choose your own beliefs consistent with reality.
Dr. Cindy Juster