How is asthma genetically transferred in families I am doing a report for biology and i need to know how asthma is genetically transferred

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Complex

The genetics of asthma is very complex and this disease is not inherited in a simple mendelian fashion like sicke cell or von wildebrand's disease.
There are probably dozens is not hundreds of genes that have been identified that have been linked to asthma.

In brief: Complex

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. John Chiu
The simple answer would be that in a set of identical twins, if one has asthma, there is a slightly over 50% chance that the other one will. In fraternal twins, the risk for the other is slightly over 25%.

In brief: Not necessarily

There is a lot of debate on this topic and the verdict is not yet in.
Though there is a family link to certain types of lung disease, asthma is still up in the air. I would check with the american thoracic society. You will find links to other information sites. You may also like to check the cochrane collaboration and teh cdc chronic diseases section. Good luck.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Richard Williams
Dr. Richard Williams
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: While

While we do know that asthma runs in families, there many other complicated factors that affect whether a person will develop it or not - many of these are still unknown! we do know that if one of your parents has asthma, you are 2-3 times more likely to develop asthma yourself than someone whose parents do not have asthma.
If both your parents have asthma, then the risk of you having asthma is 8 times more. I hope this helps.

In brief: While

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Cindy Juster