I have been taking over-the-counter sleeping pills and I have to take 4 to 5 times the dose what is going on I have been taking melatonin, tylenol (acetaminophen) pm, sominex

Insomnia . Insomnia isn't much fun. So first things first- no naps, no late night eating or water drinking to wake you up to urinate and give you heartburn. Exercise every day so you are tired. Don't drink alcohol at night! it breaks down into chemicals in about six hours that both wake you up and make you urinate. Bad plan. Your bedroom should be a place to sleep , not a place to surf on your computer, watch tv and eat snacks. Put a little tape over all your tiny lights so the room is dark and keep it cool. Keep regular sleeping hours. Any otc medication that says "pm"- be it advil pm, tylenol (acetaminophen) pm etc has the medication Diphenhydramine or good ol' Benadryl and that antihistamine gives you a dry mouth and you feel rotten in the morning. Don't take more than 25 mg of Benadryl to sleep. Look at the labels- they are all the same. Melatonin is a supplement that some folks like but more isn't better. If you are doing all the above things right- and you aren't depressed or sad or anxious (which is a whole different story) then consider seeing a doctor who specializes in sleep. But most insomniacs don't have good sleep hygiene so they don't sleep well because their room is hot, lit up and they keep drinking wine at night. All great ways to lose sleep. Good luck.
Some . Some of the other the counter sleeping medications can cause rebound insomnia - which means that your insomnia could actually get worse after you take these medications for a while. You can talk with your pharmacist or your doctor to find out if you are taking any products which should only be used short -term.