When would be a good time to take an at home pregnancy test? I have not had a menstrual cycle in three years and three days ago i had unprotected sex with my boyfriend who has a very high sperm count. I have a feeling that i might be pregnant and since i

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Most

Most home pregnancy tests are 97% accurate if taken a week or two after the missed period.
Since you do not have a regular cycle, then you would probably want to wait at least 3-4 weeks from when you had sex to test yourself. This will give the bhcg (a pregnancy hormone) enough time to build up in your urine to be able to be detected by the test. If the test is taken too soon, you may get a false negative. If you are not pregnant, but want to become pregnant, you should make an appointment with an ob/gyne as soon as possible to discuss your lack of a menstrual cycle. You need to ovulate in order to become pregnant and not having a period is a sign that you are not ovulating. Good luck!

In brief: Most

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Normally

Normally a urine pregnancy test can be done about a week after a missed menses.

In brief: Normally

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham