How can I tell if i'm depressed or not? I'm a 15 year old girl and i think i might be depressed, but i don't know what to do. I think about suicide a lot and have tried killing myself twice this last year. I also frequently cut and/ or burn myself every d

In brief: You

You do sound depressed.
Are your parents aware that you tried to kill yourself last year ? If not, please tell them right away. Have you been treated by a therapist ? If not, it is important that you get help. Using drugs and cutting and burning yourself to distract yourself from your pain are not healthy coping skills. If you are feeling like you want to kill your self right now, please let your parents, a guidance counselor, a responsible adult know so that you can get immediate help. If you are thinking right now that you want to kill yourself and you already have a psychiatrist, psychologist or therapist - please call your provider without delay. Depression is associated with feeling low emotionally. You may feel sad, angry, irritable, afraid. Your energy level and drive to do things may be low. You might sleep alot or sleep very little. Your appetite may drop or increase. Losing pleasure in life's activities can also be a sign of depression. Regardless of your diagnosis, it is clear that you are in a lot of emotional pain. There is excellent treatment available. Please do not lose hope.

In brief: You

You do sound depressed.
Dr. Jane Steiner
If you are thinking about suicide now, go to your nearest emergency room for help or call 911.

In brief: Yes, and..

Yes, these feelings (and suicide attempts) are clear signs of depression; the self- cutting and -burning are well-known signs of other forms of distress as well.
It is urgent that you contact a psychiatrist as soon as possible. Your doctor should be able to refer you. If not please contact a crisis center nearby (check online). It is terrible that someone your age should be suffering so badly.

In brief: Yes, and..

Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
Dr. Jeffrey Satinover

In brief: Talk with Ur doc

Many pcp's have experience with screening for these issues either through an interview or a questionnaire.
If this is someone you know, their input is valuable & they can point out some choices for rx. Please make the call now.

In brief: Talk with Ur doc

Dr. Cindy Juster