Should you be able to hear an aortic stenosis in your child without a stethoscope?

Dr. David Malpass
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Depends

If you listen with your ear applied to your child's chest, you may be able to hear the heart murmur associated with aortic valve stenosis.

In brief: Depends

Dr. David Malpass
Dr. David Malpass
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: No

You shouldn't be able to hear it without a stethoscope.
A murmur loud enough to hear without a stethoscope is essentially unheard of. If this is the case, please have your child checked immediately.

In brief: No

Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala

In brief: Almost never

Heart murmurs including aortic stenosis are detected by listening with a stethoscope.
Murmurs are graded or scored by the loudness from 1 to 5 (i to v). Only grade 5 murmurs may be heard without a stethoscope. You might feel a vibration if you place your hand against the chest over the heart with a grade 5 . In my 18 years experience, I have only heard one heart murmur without a stethoscope.

In brief: Almost never

Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Dr. William Scott
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Rarely

Very rarely is aortic stenosis is sufficiently severe to be associated with a heart murmur that is audible without a stethoscope.
You would still need to be very close to the individual's chest to hear the murmur.

In brief: Rarely

Dr. William Scott
Dr. William Scott
Dr. Jonathan Jassey