Can falling on a knee that has osgood schlatters disease make thhe condition worse? I had osgood schlatters disease in my left knee. I tripped and fell on concrete today, and right on the botton of my knee cap it is badly bruised. It hurts pretty bad, i c

Dr. Jack Farr
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Painful Ossicle

Osgood schlatter's is from repetitive traction injury of the patellar tendon attachment to the tibia when growth plates are open.
Once growth is completed there may be a persistent bony "bump" and in some patients a small ossicle. If this is impacted, there may be more pain and persistent pain than someone without o.S. History. Bruising at the bottom of the patella is different: it needs an eval.

In brief: Painful Ossicle

Dr. Jack Farr
Dr. Jack Farr
Dr. James McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: The

The main issue with osgood schlatter syndrome is a bony prominence at the insertion of the patellar tendon.
During a fall this area is "sticking out" and more likely to get hurt. Have some x-rays taken to make sure there are no fractures. The condition per se should not get worse.

In brief: The

Dr. James McClurg
Dr. James McClurg
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine